Monday, July 5, 2010

Getting there is half the fun...

....especially when you are planning a quilt with Riley Blake Wheels!

One of my closest friends is expecting twin boys this summer, and asked me if I would make a quilt for each of them. The idea was to make 2 quilts that were coordinating, but not identical (twins get stuck with enough matching things, right?). She is not a "traditional" quilt type, so we spent some time on the Internet checking out modern quilt designs and examples until she found a few that caught her eye. We found so many great designs, it was hard to pick! We ended up with a design modified from the Chain Reaction quilt (Cluck Cluck Sew), and another I will call an "interrupted strip quilt." We will tie the two quilts together by using chocolate brown as the trim for both, and of course the Riley Blake Wheels fabric as the focus.
These are my next project on the go, and while I am not really much of a detailed planner, I wanted to make sure that I would get it right, especially since they are a "set." So I calculated all the sizes, and then got out my kids' colored pencils and sketched them out...and this is what I came up with:




Some strips, some fussy cutting...this is going to be fun! What do you think?

In the meantime, my labour over the red, white and black quilt, which I now (mostly) lovingly refer to as "The Ugly Quilt" (yes, there is a story behind that name), is finally. almost. over. This is one where I should have really shared more of "the process", because it has been a marathon, but I actually forgot my camera at the lake and have been without photos for a while (have you noticed- lots of scanned and archived images??). Anyways, I promise to blog the Big Finale soon!

3 comments:

Rozelle Faulkner said...

I just love Riley Blake prints!! These are going to be amazing quilts, really looking forward to following your progress on them.

Rebecca Waddell said...

Where do you find your fabrics? Do you purchase them online or buy them locally?

Rebecca Waddell said...

I was looking at your quilt #1 and was wondering are you going to make the dark blocks with a stripe on them look like roads? It looks a little like that from the sketch. Cute quilts! Love the print with the cars!