Thursday, June 16, 2011

after the storm.

Well, as I have discussed before, we are having flood issues up here, and Lake Manitoba, where we recently bought a little family cottage, has been hard hit. It is a unique lake- a combination of large and shallow, which spells trouble when it comes to wind as it generates large, destructive waves. The "first" wind storm struck in late May. All communities on the lake had a mandatory evacuation, and no one was allowed back in for several weeks as the area was being secured. Monday things had calmed down enough that it was finally our opportunity to see the damage to our property first hand.

Our cottage before (last summer):

Our cottage on Monday, showing results from the storm:



You will notice- our big wooden pier (and only protection): lost. Trees: uprooted. Grass and yard: gone. Our siding torn off. The front end of the cottage suspended in air, all supports ripped away, inside floor visible through the holes in the exterior wall. Debris riddles the lake, sharp objects protruding from the sand.

Our neighbor: cottage owners since the 1970s, and permanent residents for the past 20 years. A sweet couple in their late 70s- he still water skis every summer! He was reduced to tears when he talked about being driven out of his home. They do not anticipate the area will be habitable again this year- residents must remain in hotels or with family members.



2 doors down: S. and D. had sent out invitations for their July 9 wedding on the beach. Not looking too "happily ever after." They are now scrambling to find a new venue....

So many stories like this. The worst part: the water continues to rise and is not expected to crest until the END of July. We spent the day Monday moving out all of our belongings, toting them to the road in a canoe across the back of our flooded back yard while wearing chest waders. There are fish trapped in our back yard, swimming around, pushed here when the waves rose up! We fully expect what is left to fall like a house of cards in the next storm :( As far as we are concerned, it is game over. Our cottage has already been deemed unsafe to enter by engineers.


If you can help people in the region....Thank you :)

21 comments:

Kelly Irene said...

Wow. I am so sorry. It's always amazing to see the pictures of how all this is actually affecting people (and I'm sure even more so in real life...).

Lesly said...

Oh my word. I am so sorry. I am glad I have donated and wish I could do more. It is heartbreaking. Sending you hugs.

Quiltin' Sandy said...

Oh Kristie, that must be heartbreaking. Mother Nature is throwing everything at us all, we must have really upset her. Bad floods just north of us here at the moment too. :(
I just caught up with your previous post- awesome shoes!!! I bet that Glee show was fantastic! Hugs, Sandy.

Kati said...

This is so sad. I hope you guys are able to rebuild. There are so many people being affected by flooding this year. How devastating.

Amy Friend said...

Oh, I am so sorry. There really have been an awful lot of natural disasters lately. I am glad that you were not in physical danger at least.

Shay said...

This is just heartbreaking for everyone who has been affected. I'm so sorry about your cottage.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

So sorry to see all the damage. What a heartbreak!

Barbara said...

I am so sorry! Sending good thoughts and prayers. Hoping everyone stays safe.

felicity said...

Kristie, I'm so so sorry. Mother Nature is piiiiiissed with us global citizens. :(

Alisa said...

Not pretty, that's for sure! And not nice either. I'm happy for you that it's not your primary residence. Sorry for the neighbors that are.

Lynette said...

I'm so sorry. This just makes me cry for you and your neighbors. It's been a very bad year for flooding. :(

Little Island Quilting said...

Really sorry to see the pictures. Clicked on the link and have donated.

liz said...

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Makes me think of our very simple family cottage on Lake Huron. I was always glad for the short walk to the beach for just this reason.

I hope you and your neighbors will be able to restore the area to its former glory and that you had insurance to cover your losses.

Sue said...

I am so sorry to hear about all of this. Having experienced similar devastation within my family you have my sympathies. You also have my hope for a brighter future. Without getting too sappy, or understating all that needs to be done, this too shall pass. All the best to you.

corina said...

I am so sorry. It's awful what you and so many others are experiencing this year. Sending you hugs and prayers that the lake does not do anymore damage.

Little Blue Mouse said...

How awful for you and your neighbours. It must especially heartbreaking for the people who live there.

Lynseylou said...

Looks like you have had your hands full LITERALLY! So I hate to ask if you've made a pattern for the hockey quilt yet.... BUT if you have I sure would enjoy it. Let me know basemejello@hotmail.com or schatzphotography@gmail.com

Kaelin said...

I'm so sorry Kristie! I have no idea what you must be feeling right now, but I know I'd be heartbroken to lose such a precious little house :(

I don't know about you, but food always makes me feel a little better, hehe...want any treats from New Orleans?

Rachelle said...

I'm so sorry to see all the damage that happened to you and everyone in the area. It is devastasting to have this happen, especially if it is your only home. Hopefully people will step up and help with the clean up.

Charlotte said...

I'm so sorry, and your poor neighbours! Our thought are with you all x

may said...

Oh Kristie, I'm so sorry about your cottage and property. I know two other families that lost their cottages at TLB. My heart goes out to everyone who suffered losses. At least you have your memories and no one was hurt. Hope to talk to you soon. Take care.