Monday, February 25, 2013

Atlanta trip- the fun

So, I have said it before, and I will say it again: my life runs kinda like a sitcom.

So, the trip starts like this.  Trotting into the Winnipeg airport, all cute boots and stylish, thinking of hanging with my girls, with my Juki sling over my shoulder in my handmade tote.  Am going through the rotating door thingies when....SMASH!  The straps on my tote give way, and my Juki falls to the ground, wedged in the revolving door, with that patronizing electronic voice calling "stay clear of the door, please!".

So I grabbed what was left of the handles and dragged the bag, sled style, through the airport.


The security guard at US customs asks what happened to my bag, and what is in there that is so heavy that the straps would break.  I tell her a sewing machine, and she replies, "Well, why not go find a plug and stitch it back up?" I told her I would if only I hadn't CHECKED MY THREAD with my suitcase.  Grrr!!  But the two of us then dissolved into eye watering laughter....how many people can say they did that with an airport customs guard?

To make matters worse, I then noticed a bunch of dentist coming to the flight waiting area....crap!  Forgot I was SUPPOSED to go to the big dental conference in Chicago this weekend, which I am connecting through to get to Atlanta, but when some friends bowed out on the conference I had made up an excuse how I had to stay home, too.  You know, for the kids.  Busted!  So then I had to explain to each of them that, no, I wasn't going to the conference to better my education, and yes, I really was flying all the way to Atlanta to sew stuff.  With people I had met on the internet.  Somehow it doesn't sound so awesome and cool when you say that out loud to non-quilters!

Anyhoo, a couple flights later, and dragging my sled-bag through three airports, I made it to Atlanta to meet up with 8 of the most fabulous women I am proud to call friends.


Ali (a2w) arranged it all, and Kaelin (plaid scottie), Angela (cut to pieces), Elena (hot pink stitches), Michelle (i like orange), Cherie (sew and so quilts), Kelly (kelby sews) and Cara (me? a mom?) all joined in and brought their A-game for good times.  We did fun things like stab cans with knives, drink wine, have handstand contests, drink wine, watch girly movies, play a game I invented called "boob or butt?", drink wine, have a plank-off (I'll get you next time, Cherie!!), and oh yah, we sewed quite a bit as well (more on that tomorrow!).


(p.s. that Kelly is such a tart, she likes to sew topless ;)


We rented a house that had lots of space and a great layout for us all to sew in the main area.  But the sitcom continues as we noticed a gas smell.  So Cara (who, incidentally, had also driven 8 hours to join us and forgot her suitcase!!), called the "gas cops" who came and told us that there was a major leak and shut off the gas.  No heat, no cooking, no hot water?  Well, it all got fixed and we made it out alive somehow, so all is well that ends well.

So that more of less wraps up this segment of the sitcom.  Tune in next time to see the sewing and swapping magic!!

23 comments:

Tracey Jacobsen said...

:) such lovely ladies!

Elena said...

Omg hilarious!!! That tart! LOL

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Sounds like a wonderful mini retreat was had by all.

Svetlana said...

Kristie, you are THE BEST storyteller I've ever known. LOve your post.

Carla said...

Too funny! Looking forward to seeing more

Angela said...

I didn't realize that your machine and bag got stuck in the revolving auto door! lol!

I loved seeing my Canadian Cutie! I keep wanting to say everything with Canadian add ons "eh" ;)

Unknown said...

Looks like it was such a blast, if a bit of a gong show, haha!

Jo Ann said...

Bummer about the bag and the dentists. You should have made up a sick relative in need of mending! Sounds like an adventure! Glad you had fun.

Katie B said...

Oh, yowza. I'm only a bit disappointed that you checked your thread. Because if your dentist friends had seen you sewing up your tote in the airport---that would've been priceless.

Tiara said...

fun fun times! I hope you made it to the Varsity

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I followed you guys on Ig and it looks like you all had so much fun. I need to travel with my machine to Charlotte, NC in a few weeks. I'm so nervous. I don't think I am strong enough to carry it. Any suggestions? Can't wait to read part 2 of your time with the girls. We were supposed to be at the dental convention too, but hubby decided he didn't want to go.

Little Island Quilting said...

Well well well ;-)

Berlinquilter said...

I can always rely on yout. Thanks for the morning laughter!!!

Shay said...

It really does look like she's sewing topless...kind of like Lady Godiva with a sewing machine!

Sounds like you guys rocked the weekend. I can see you toting your poor broken carry all through the airports and not caring one bit!

Marla said...

Thanks for letting us laugh at your misfortunes. The weekend sounds like a blast. Maybe I will meet some of these friends at the stash bash in Atlanta in April? I hope so!

Angela Bullard said...

Oh how I wish I had crafty friends :(. Glad you all had a wonderful time despite a few mishaps!

katie@stvital said...

Sounds like fun. It looks like I am going to have to learn some of your outgoing qualities:)

Unknown said...

Looks like so much fun!! Glad it was a great time, despite the craziness. :)

Little Blue Mouse said...

There's never a dull moment with you around!

Kelly said...

OMG! I'm laughing so hard!!!!!! It's not like I didn't know what happened last weekend, but when I see it spelled out like that.....it really is like a sitcom! Miss you!!!!!

Faith Jones said...

Wow, I am CRACKING UP. You are a good storyteller. :) I'm glad your machine is ok though - that part was more terrifying than the gas leak.

Little Lady Patchwork said...

Such fun times! Thanks for sharing with us.
Stefanie

Angela Nash said...

The fact that your Juki survived the drop, door wedge, and airport sled-hauling.....they should pay you for the commercial idea! That is quite a testament for their machines. Thanks for sharing all your fun :)