Sunday, May 19, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival: a quilt for my niece

Welcome, Bloggers!  Hope you are enjoying the Festival, thanks for popping by!

I have a new niece!  You can read more about her story here.  She has stolen all of our hearts :)

This is a quilt that brings me so much joy.  I have been waiting to make it forever.  My sister is not a "pink" person, and, growing up, had her own room decorated in purple, blue and black.  So, I used those colors as inspiration for my niece's baby quilt.


I don't often use patterns, but this time opted to crack out one of the MANY quilting books I buy (but rarely use!) for a simple pattern.  I settled on Elizabeth Hartman's Fenced In, from her Practical Guide to Patchwork, and modified it to baby size.  Though a generous baby size...it finished up at about 50"x50'.


I used and assortment of fabrics from my stash, choosing light and dark purples, navy and aqua blues, a splash of pink, and some yarn dyed Essex linen in black as my base.  A new color palate for me, and I love how it turned out.

On the back, I made a patchwork heart, with the center being my label, with some words of love for my new sweet niece.

I quilted it with loopy hearts to add even more love!

My sister used the quilt in a newborn photoshoot with the amazing May Arason-Li.  If you are in the Winnipeg area, I highly recommend her!  She has taken photos of our family as well, and they are spectacular.  Here are a couple of my favourites :)


And another on my New Wave quilt, pattern, by coincidence, also by Elizabeth Hartman.
And who doesn't melt at the sight of baby toes and puppies??

 

Thanks again for stopping by, I am off to enjoy the Festival!

27 comments:

jednoiglec said...

I love the colorway of this quilt. And the heart on the back? Too cute:)

Leanne said...

I love your quilt and your niece is so adorable, such beautiful pictures.

Annabella said...

Beautiful images both of the quilt and your niece. It's a wonderful quilt and I love baby quilts that the baby can grow in to!:)

Krista said...

Beautiful, Kristie! Such a sweet gift (both the baby and the quilt).

Jenniffier said...

Beautiful Quilt! I love the colors and your niece's newborn pictures are so adorable.

Lauren Deel said...

This is gorgeous! I love how it's not "babyish," so she'll be able to grow into it and use it for many years to come. The back is exquisite as well. The heart is a lovely detail, and while I find that particular Heirloom print difficult to use, you've used it splendidly :)

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful quilt - though it's really hard to look past the gorgeous model! :-)

Congrats on the long-awaited niece! (I was a long-awaited baby, too...)

Katy Cameron said...

Love the fabric choices, and the photos are fab, I especially like the one with the dog!

Renee said...

Wonderful quilt! I am not a pink person, definitely go for the purples more. I love how you mixed all the colors and used the black essex.

Svetlana said...

so, so adorable!!! The quilt is amazing and I just loved reading your baby niece's story. How totally sweet.

Little Island Quilting said...

I love me some purple and your backside is looking mighty darn fine :-)

What Comes Next? said...

beautiful quilt, and your niece is just so precious!

QuiltCandy said...

This is a gorgeous quilt! And such lovely baby photos too. I especially love the little heart on the back, what a lovely extra touch.

Julierose said...

this is a really lovely soft quilt; I am a big fan of E. Hartman, too. What a sweet baby! Julierose

Emily said...

This quilt is super sweet! And is there really any better compliment than to use a quilt in a professional photoshoot?

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

So pretty xxx

Patti said...

Gorgeous quilt, and the baby looks right at home on it!

Shay said...

What a lovely quilt Kristie for a very special little person. Both are gorgeous!

Katie B said...

I'm starting to feel a bit envious of your niece. And I'm concerned that makes me a bad person.

Love this quilt! :)

MariQuilts said...

Lovely quilt and the baby is adorable.

Camilla said...

Absolutely love this colour palette!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

there is nothing cuter than a baby laying on a quilt. What a lovely quilt to be lying on too.

Poppyprint said...

Those are the sweetest photos and I love the colour palette! The Essex black looks fab as background here. What a great make for your niece!

Jennie said...

I love the colour scheme and the Essex Linen is a soft black which is so perfect for a little girl. I love the final photo!

katie@stvital said...

What a great colour palette! Lovely quilt :)

Happy Turtle said...

awwww... that is so gorgeous... the quilt, the baby, the puppy... everything! :)
Carol

Jean said...

Absolutely gorgeous. The colors look amazing together.