Thursday, October 3, 2013

a quilt for a Christmas gift

Last Christmas, that is.

(just a wee bit behind)

I have the best parents ever.  And they have waited sooooo patiently for this!  Of all the people in my life, they are two of the most important.  So I guess the delay was partly that I wanted a quilt for them that I liked, and I knew THEY would like.  So I gifted them an unfinished quilt for Christmas last year. But as much as I liked the quilt, it just wasn't them.  Then I couldn't decide how to quilt it.  Then I hated the quilting. Then I was too lazy to pick out the quilting and do it again.  In short, I started to hate that darn quilt, and didn't want to send those bad vibes over to my folks' house.

So I finally got a fire under my arse and started over again.  My mom is not a girly-girl (and obviously, either is my dad), and their home is decorated mostly in taupes and navies.  I decided that Cara's free Urban Lattice quilt pattern was the perfect fit for them.



I made a few modifications- I did 10" blocks instead of 12", so it finishes at about 60' by 70". And I just cut the pieces with a homemade template and pieced them without the paper, because I got lazy after a few blocks.  Not totally perfect, but that is when you fall back on a parent's unconditional love ;)



I used linen as my base, which I love using for texture and also for the weight- it feels substantial to snuggle under, and softens with each washing.  I did my sashing in navy linen, and then used a variety of browns, navies and aquas from my stash for the top. The binding is hand stitched, a bias stripe from Riley Blake.

Did an all over stipple for quilting, because I love the crinkly effect, and honestly, I suck at straight line quilting.  I truly do.  And it just accentuates any imperfections in my piecing.  Truth.  So there you have it.



For the back, I did a big block.  Kinda like it.  But sewing 30" blocks on the bias was not my brightest idea.  All is well that ends well!


My Dad's birthday was yesterday, so that gave me the perfect opportunity (read: motivation, deadline) to give them the quilt.  They loved it, of course.  Because they are the best parents ever :)

Now it's time to work on my sister's Christmas quilt (gifted Christmas 2011....oops!).


15 comments:

Yvonne Campbell said...

This is so nice! I totally hate picking out stitching. It's for the birds!

jednoiglec said...

Wonderful gift! The back is also fabulous!

Svetlana said...

gorgeous quilt, Kristie. Love how you're getting things on your list done. Better late than never :)

Gary said...

The best quilt ever. Thanks for your love and being you. Grandma & Grandpa E.

Amanda said...

Haha, this totally made me laugh! That type of gift giving is totally my style...like those hand knit socks I started for my husband before our wedding...

Gorgeous quilt. This pattern has been on my radar for a while

Katie B said...

perfection. And you're an excellent daughter. I would've waited until December and given it to them then! Boom, double Christmas gift.
And the back looks spectacular.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Perfect x

Shay said...

Its absolutely perfect Kristie. I gotta say despite the back giving you grief I LOVE it.

Carla said...

Well my dear, I think you nailed it! The backing is the cherry on top.

Little Island Quilting said...

Love it. Can't quite get to grips with how I'm clearly not the most important person in your life...exits stage muttering to herself.

Wendy said...

Fab quilt! The back may have been a pain, but it makes the quilt

Michele said...

Just perfect!

Ellie Q said...

Beautiful! I love that pattern--made a similar version for one of our best friends and his wife when they got married (and yes, it is being delivered a year late!)

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, love that crinkly goodness, the back is fab!

admin said...

I love gifts.
7/12 Utara