Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Bloggers Quilt Festival: Heartstrings

Well, I finished up another quilt and decided to enter it in the hand quilting category in the Blogger's Quilt Festival!  Welcome to any newcomers via Amy's blog, hope you are enjoying the festival!

Unfortunately, this quilt has a sad story.  It was made for a co-worker and her husband who recently suffered a late miscarriage of their first baby.  They had been trying to get pregnant for ages.  They were devastated.  I felt helpless.  I made a quilt.



I called it Heartstrings because, the situation pulls at my heartstrings, and, it is literally a heart made out of strings.  I decided to do a colorful heart, representing hope and love, against a dark, blank background.


For the quilting, I used a rainbow of Perle cotton.  I chain stitched on the words "love lives forever in our hearts" and then did echo quilting around the heart perimeter in a variety of different stitches.  It is simple, but effective (I think!) against the grey.




On the back, a cozy flannel that has been in my stash since before I officially HAD a stash!  The binding is a grey polka dot from the LQS, hand stitched in place.


Simple, but I hope this quilt provides some comfort.  Thanks for visiting!

AmysCreativeSide

12 comments:

Charlotte said...

it's so beautiful, and a lovely thought

Chez Roo said...

It is beautiful, what a meaningful gesture.

CitricSugar said...

Very kind gesture - and a lovely quilt.

Little Island Quilting said...

I think you' re probably quite a nice friend to have when all is said and done. Dodgy sense of humour but still nice ;-)

Tracey Jacobsen said...

that is a beautiful quilt.
I'm so sad for your friend.
Godspeed their baby to them.

Katie B said...

So beautiful. I know it's hard to find something that will help people through such a painful situation, but I'm sure they'll find comfort in such a loving gift.

Shay said...

Another lovely quilt with such a lot of thought behind it.

Im sure it will be treasured.

Katy Cameron said...

What a lovely thought, the stitching is perfect

Poppyprint said...

You are such a thoughtful and caring friend. Quilts really are a way for us to show people how much they mean to us. I am sure it brought comfort to this couple as they grieve their loss. I love all of the colourful hand stitching, Kristie.

Anonymous said...

What fun stitching! Really creates an interesting background.

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful Kristie. Well done. I'm sure they feel your love and support.

Unknown said...

This quilt is so lovely! And I totally echo your instinct to make something when you feel sad and helpless when someone is hurting, that's why I made my second ever quilt, for Maverick. i didn't have the lovely hand stitching though!